Thursday, October 29, 2009

This past summer, while I was in India, we sang a song at a church service. Maybe you've heard it. Maybe you are tired of it. Until that day I know I was. It is titled, "Here I am to worship".
So my mind was wandering and I began to diagram the sentence and pondered the word, 'here'. I think the gist of the song is to state that I place myself, at this time, as a worshipper. But it can also be a locater. In this place I choose to worship. And it struck me that there is a big difference between God, who is everywhere, and me, who is spatially limited. And I was reminded of a line in an MM Kaye book that quotes a prayer, 'Thou art everywhere but I worship Thee here; Thou art without form but I worship Thee in these forms '. And God gave me those epiphanal shivers. It matters to Him that I was in India worshipping Him. Sure, I could have been having that same transcendent moment in Nebraska. But He so contrived my events that I was 'seeing' him on the other side of the globe. He
intended my worship to originate from that latitude-longitude. He delights in my human limitations and uses them to reveal Himself for a glory and a pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment