Saturday, March 27, 2010

bridge crossing


There are several stories about trolls and bridges and crossing them, aren't there. It would seem that the Grimm Brothers and other authors had scary memories of a pretty ordinary event. I am beginning to understand that crossing a bridge isn't always an action that allows you to see the river from a different view.
I was given some good advise the other day: "wait to cross a bridge until you get to it". Certainly because you may not have to cross it at all. And/or because it will look different close up than from a distant view. I find that taking this advise has been a bracing help for my vivid imagination bouts in the middle of the night. I find it possible and also wise to just skip any conjecture on what a certain procedure will be like. Cancer treatment gives you many opportunities to try new things. And there is inevitably a pause between the doctor's order and the actual test. Plenty of time, in fact, to imagine wild and crazy scenarios. I can guess and wonder with the best of imaginations. What may actually be required to endure has been easier than I thought, or scads harder. Or cancelled altogether.
What ought to be done, then, in the waiting for one's arrival at the bridge? Do what you love. Be with good friends who know how to laugh and sing and speak of a Kind King. And that is why Melissa and Ben and Amy are here right now, working on an impossibly huge jigsaw puzzle with us.

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous. For the good company and the jigsaw puzzle. I've been in a puzzling mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words Aunt Lori. Thanks for the encouragement.
    http://www.corleyz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete