Thursday, February 16, 2012

What could I do to....

Caveat: this is about marriage. And lately I've been thinking alot about what makes a strong marriage. Or a happy one, or a good one.

So how about we ask ourselves regularly this question: 'what could I do to make my marriage stronger.' This isn't a time to ponder what our spouse could do. Or how easier it would be if certain circumstances were different. But today, things being what they are, people being who they are, me being who I am right now, what could I do?

Could I realign myself with what I know I should do? (forgive much, speak with kindness, consider the other's interests are more important to me than my own, etc) Could I notice a trend that needs a Gospel application? Repentance is always the right thing to do. Or, could I see where my spouse needs to be righteously opposed in a way he has chosen?

A few months ago I was asked to speak at a friend's happy happy wedding shower. I came up with a top ten list of the bonuses of being married. Frankly some of them were silly, but the last one said,

"Best of all, to know the glory and joy and dazzle and death of giving happiness to an honorable man. For the rest of your life."

So today, the answer to myself, of what I could do is: To look for a way to give happiness to my honorable man.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful thoughts, Lori! Thank you for encouraging me in my marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yer welcome, Joy. It was your happy happy wedding shower, btw, that I was referring to!

      Delete